Important rule changes at AGNC 2021
We are excited to announce that we will be implementing a World Triathlon aligned course penalty notification, penalty structure and draft areas at the upcoming 2021 Toyota USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships.
Why are we making this change?
Customer service to our athletes is a priority and we have listened to your voices. The athletes made it clear that they wanted to know on the course and during the race if they received a penalty rather than being notified once they had completed their respective races. Additionally, it is important to strive for alignment of the rules with other triathlon governing bodies in order to ensure consistency for athletes no matter where they run.
What are the changes?
- Athletes will be notified of on-course penalties via the standard international blue / yellow card system and will be notified if they have received a penalty as soon as possible. When an athlete is penalized, the official will show the appropriate card for the infraction, identify the athlete by their race number and ask the athlete to stop if necessary. Ex. âAthlete # 167, blue card. Stop by the penalty tent.
- The penalties for the bike course will be served in a designated penalty tent. All other penalties will be served on the course as a stand down.
- In accordance with World Triathlon international standards for Olympic speed and distance races, the repechage area for bikes will be 10 meters long by 2 meters wide. A maximum of 20 seconds will be allowed to cross another athlete’s zone.
- For both events, the athletes will be subject to disqualification for the following infractions: accumulation of two blue cards for the repechage; not stopping as required before crossing the finish line. Every effort will be made to inform all athletes subject to possible disqualification on site and before the awards. These athletes will have a full opportunity to discuss the circumstances with the Chief Race Referee prior to the final determination of the penalty.
Olympic distance run
If a blue card is presented for the repechage on the bike course, a penalty of 2 minutes will be served in the bike penalty tent. A yellow card will be issued for all other violations other than disqualifications. A violation of the yellow card will result in a penalty of 15 seconds to be served at the location indicated below.
Sprint distance race
If a blue card is presented for the repechage on the bike course, a penalty will be served for 1:00 minute in the bike penalty tent. A yellow card will be issued for all other violations other than disqualifications. A violation of the yellow card will result in a penalty of: 10 seconds to be served at the location indicated below.
Race segment / Penalty served
- Departure / T1 – point of violation
- Swimming / T1 – point of violation
- Transition 1 / Warning at T1 – point of violation
- Bicycle / Bicycle penalty tent
- Transition 2 / Warning at T2 – point of violation
- Race / Warning and / or Time Penalty on the spot
A United States Triathlon Officials tent will be used as a penalty tent with signage marking the approach to the penalty tent. All athletes who have received a penalty will have their race number written on the penalty board at the penalty tent. Athletes who believe they have received a penalty should stop at the penalty tent to confirm if their number is on the penalty table.
There will be static visual aids to help athletes understand the longer draft area as well as video instructional content available online and during athlete registration to ensure athletes understand these changes and have the right knowledge. possibility to ask for clarification.